Dr Ben Hanson
Dr Ben Hanson is an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at University College London. He specialises in biomedical engineering and researches how the body’s mechanical control systems work. His two main themes are cardiovascular arrhythmias and the biomechanics of eating & drinking.
News feed and up-coming events
- 18th February: Chairing the UK IDDSI Congress & Festival, Mary Ward House, London.
- 14th February: Presenting at UCL Mechanical Engineering’s showcase event: “For the Love of Engineering“, Bloomsbury Theatre, London.
- 13th February: Presenting on Royal College of Speech & Language Therapy Webinar: Making IDDSI work for you (Free to view after the event)
- 29th November-1st December IDDSI board meeting, Singapore.
- 4th October: Speaking at the National Association of Care Catering (NACC) Training and Development Forum.
- 28-29th September: Presenting at the European Society for Swallowing Disorders, Dublin.
- 12th September: Speaking at the Nutricia Dysphagia Academy, Royal College of Physicians.
- 2-4th June: Presenting at the Food Oral Processing conference with PhD student Andrew Redfearn.
- 12th April: Joint Statement released by the heads of Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists and British Dietetic Association on implementing IDDSI international diet standards during 2017-18.
- 24th March: Presenting at Institute of Making “Slime” public engagement event.
- 14th March: YouTube video released: Introduction to IDDSI for the UK.
- 22nd February: Speaking at Fresenius-Kabi dysphagia education event, Dublin.
- 1st-2nd February: Presenting IDDSI at UK Swallowing Research Group Meeting, London
- 31st January: Hosting UK IDDSI stakeholders meeting at UCL.
- 25th January 2018: Speaking at Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists multidisciplinary Dysphagia Symposium
- 5th December: Speaking at Fresenius-Kabi dysphagia education event, Belfast.
- 29th November: Co-Chairing Innovation in Oral Health Flagship Sandpit Event with Eastman Dental Institute
- 28th November: Hosting UK IDDSI stakeholders meeting at UCL.
- 23rd November: Presenting UCL Institute of Healthcare Engineering at the Eastman Dental Institute Research Away-Day.
- 7th November: Hosting UK IDDSI stakeholders meeting at UCL.
- 7th October: Simopsium IGD Dysphagia Brazil (by videoconference).
- 22nd September: European Society of Swallowing Disorders Conference (ESSD2017), Barcelona.
- 13th September: St Thomas’s Hospital, London. Clinical Excellence Network for Adult Acquired Dysphagia (CENAAD).
- 29th August: UCL Mechanical Engineering graduation ceremony for undergraduates & PhD students, Royal Festival Hall, London.
- 6th July: Royal Society of Medicine, London. Nestlé Health Science Dysphagia Study Day.
- 18 July: Hosted a very positive meeting of UK stakeholders (NHS, food service industry) making plans for future adoption of IDDSI dysphagia diet standards in the UK.
- 14 July: Congratulations to Dr Stefan Van Duijvenboden who has just been awarded a PhD after a brilliant 3 years’ work. Stefan has worked with cardiologists including Prof Peter Taggart and Prof Pier Lambiase at St Bartholomew’s heart centre using advanced signal processing techniques to identify patterns in breathing and cardiac electrophysiology related to stress. Stefan is now employed as a postdoctoral research associate at UCL Institute of Cardiovascular Science / St Bart’s Hospital.
- 12 July: Co-chaired with Dr Francesco D’Aiuto the inaugural strategy meeting for the Institute of Healthcare Engineering’s flagship programme in Innovation in Oral Health at Eastman Dental Hospital.