Outstanding science, strong industrial engagement, and tangible impact are all hallmarks of our PhD programme and of our research culture. Our students work and learn both in UCL’s world-class laboratories but also in partnership with a wide range of collaborating institutions and companies worldwide, enhancing knowledge, networking and employment opportunities.
For further information and to apply visit our page for prospective research students
PhD programme overview
- A PhD/MPhil programme is normally 3 years full time plus an extra of up to one year for writing up.
- Part-time registration over a longer period is also possible.
- You are expected to produce a significant contribution to the development and understanding of a specific field within mechanical engineering.
- Skills training will be included during the period of research
- PhD students leaving the department are in great demand by industry.
Research areas at UCL Mechanical Engineering
There are over 140 graduate students and research assistants engaged in research leading to the MPhil/PhD degrees at UCL Mechanical Engineering
Our wide-ranging research is grouped into three main areas:
Looking for a supervisor or collaborator?
Our people page allows you to easily find academic researchers working in areas in which you might want to do further study. You can also find our research students and what they are working on. Visit our people page