MECH0009 Manufacturing and Design
- FHEQ Level:
- 5 (Undergraduate Yr 2)
- Term 1
- UCL / ECTS Credits:
- 15 UCL / 7.5 ECTS
- Previous Module Code:
- ENGF0002 Design and Professional Skills, MECH0004 Mechanical Engineering Practical Skills 1, MECH0007 Fundamentals of Materials 1
This module covers the process of engineering design, manufacturing methods, and the relationship between them. It builds on the introductory material covered in MECH0004 Mechanical Engineering Practical Skills and MECH0007 Fundamentals of Materials.
The module aims to train students in the methodology of all stages of engineering design: from the analysis of the client statement to the manufacturing of the design. It develops the practical, theoretical, and computational engineering skills relevant to the design process. It also aims to develop an appreciation of sustainability in engineering design, and an understanding of how design decisions can affect the environmental and economic costs of the design and product.
The topics that will be taught include:
- Type of fluid machines
- Pump Performance
- Centrifugal pump impeller design
- Transformation of a client statement to an engineering problem statement
- F/O/C decomposition of design requirements
- Evaluation of design requirements
- Design evaluation methods
Materials Selection in Mechanical Design
- Material property charts
- Material performance indices for strength, stiffness, fracture toughness, and thermal performance designs
- Design for multiple constraints and conflicting objectives
- Shaping processes
- Finishing processes
- Joining processes
- Selection methodology for manufacturing processes
Sustainable Development of Engineering Designs
- Design life cycle analysis
- Eco-selection of materials and processes
- Assessment of sustainable development
Upon completion of this module students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of design methodologies
- Apply the materials selection methodology in designs for strength, stiffness, weight savings, fracture resistance, and thermal applications
- Obtain a working knowledge of computational materials/process selection tools and deepen existing knowledge on CAD tools.
- Understand the environmental & economic costs of making products and recycling them.
- Design a centrifugal pump impeller and carry out the required calculations.
Method of Instruction
This module is taught through:
- Practical laboratory classes