MECH0064 MSc Group Design Project
- FHEQ Level:
- 7 (MSc)
- Terms 1 and 2
- UCL / ECTS Credits:
- 15 UCL / 7.5 ECTS
- Previous Module Code:
- Professor Suwan Jayasinghe (Module Coordinator):
- Suwan Jayasinghe
This module provides experience of working in a multi-disciplinary group in order to design a complex engineering product, system or service under stringent time and resource limitations.
Students have the opportunity to apply the engineering knowledge and skills acquired in the earlier part of the MSc programme to a multifaceted design problem. The group project applies formal project management techniques such as planning, resource allocation, cost estimation, project monitoring and reporting, as well as developing commercial skills and business awareness.
This module runs over the academic year for all MSc students in Mechanical Engineering and Power Systems Engineering. The projects are wide ranging in their themes and each project is championed by an individual member of academic staff.
Method of Instruction
- Introductory lectures and support from module coordinator including risk management and project organisation and scheduling
- Independent study individually and as a group
- Group meetings, progress reports and presentations
- Supervision by a member of academic staff and where appropriate by industry.
- Group presentations with feedback