- UCAS code
- 3 years
This page is an introduction to this degree programme
- Please visit our Undergraduate Prospectus page for further details and to apply
- You may download the prospectus entry for this programme here (PDF)
This programme is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer and partly meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer for the 2014 -2021 student cohort intake.
Introduction to the Engineering (Mechanical) BEng programme
The Engineering (Mechanical) BEng is a challenging three-year programme which will equip you with the analytical and design skills relevant to a wide range of engineering employers. You will learn how to apply a deeper understanding of engineering principles to a range of real world challenges.
Integrated Engineering Programme
You will study mechanical engineering in the context of our Integrated Engineering Programme, giving you the opportunity to:
- tackle practical engineering challenges throughout your programme
- develop transferable professional skills
- tailor your programme to your interests
- study and collaborate with students in other engineering disciplines
Watch this IET video to learn more.
On completing your mechanical engineering degree programme, career options can be in a wide variety of fields. These include:
- motor vehicle design
- medical engineering
The problem-solving and mathematical skills you develop will also make you an attractive candidate for employers in many other fields. These include commerce, banking, and management consultancy.
Have a Question?
- Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for queries related to the content of this degree programme.
- For information about fees, accommodation, visas and other issues, visit our Information for Prospective Students website.
Modules in the Engineering (Mechanical) BEng programme
Mechanical Engineering is a broad discipline requiring you to study a range of areas from mathematical modelling to material science. The module descriptions for this degree programme will give you a more detailed understanding of what you will study at UCL.
- MECH0003 Introduction to Mechanical Engineering
- MECH0004 Mechanical Engineering Practical Skills 1
- MECH0005 Introduction to Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics 1
- MECH0006 Engineering Dynamics
- MECH0007 Fundamentals of Materials 1
- ENGF0001 Engineering Challenges
- ENGF0002 Design and Professional Skills 1
- ENGF0003 Mathematical Modelling and Analysis 1
You must select one minor. Information about the current minors is available on the Integrated Engineering Minors page.
- MECH0009 Manufacturing and Design
- MECH0010 Control and Instrumentation
- MECH0011 Intermediate Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics
- MECH0013 Mechanics of Solids and Structures
- MECH0015 Engineering Materials: Failure and Design
- MECH0016 Design and Professional Skills II
- ENGF0004 Modelling and Analysis II
You will take two further modules, continuing your minor subject from year two.
Information about the current minors is available on the Integrated Engineering Programme Minors page.
Year in Industry
You may choose to take a year working in industry between the second and the third years of your BEng degree programme. Please note that:
- this posting needs UCL approval in advance, and
- you will be required to write a comprehensive report on your work and what you learn during the year.