Numerical Simulation of Complex Physiological Systems
An advanced understanding of the implications of the hemodynamic alterations produced by diseases and clinical corrections (such as surgical and transcatheter bioprosthetic valves) is essential in order to improve the therapeutic planning and the outcome from the treatments. The latest developments in computational engineering can substantially contribute to gain an adequate insight in the phenomenon, by overcoming the limitations in time and space resolution of experimental techniques, such as MRI or PIV (see ‘Augmented cardiovascular 4D flow MR Imaging’).
In order to provide a sufficiently accurate model of the physiological mechanisms that characterise the heart valve function, numerical simulations must involve the interaction of non-linear highly deformable structures with pulsatile fluid flows. This require complex numerical analyses able to support Fluid-Structure interactions (FSI).
We are implementing a computer model comprising both the aortic root and the flowing blood, which is allowing to expand the finding from the our experimental PIV studies (see ‘Heart Valve PIV’) to the entire fluid in the aortic root, and generalise them. This would also provide a more appropriate tool for therapeutic planning and for the design of novel devices.
- Tango, A.M., Salmon, J.A., Ducci, A., Burriesci, G. (2018) Validation and Extension of a Fluid–Structure Interaction Model of the Healthy Aortic Valve. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology 9(4):739–751.
- Tango, A.M., Salmon, J.A., Ducci, A., Burriesci, G. (2018) Fluid-structure-interaction model of a Prosthetic Aortic Valve Implantation configuration: comparison with an in-vitro study. VPH-CaSE Young Researchers’ Conference: Frontiers of Simulation and Experimentation for Personalised Cardiovascular Management and Treatment, London, UK.
- Salmon, J., Tango, A.M., Ducci, A., Burriesci, G. (2018) Validation of Fluid Structure Interaction Models of the Aortic Valve with In-Vitro Testing. 8th World Congress of Biomechanics, Dublin, Ireland. (O1034)
- Tango, A.M., Ducci, A., Burriesci, G. (2017) Fluid-structure-interaction model of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation configuration: comparison with an in-vitro study. 7th International Conference on Computational Bioengineering, Compiègne, France.
- Lau, K., Burriesci, G., Diaz-Zuccarini, V. (2012). Fluid-structure interaction simulation of the edge-to-edge repair of the mitral valve in functional and degenerative states. The ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference (pp. SBC2012-80288). Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Sturla, F., Conti, C., Votta, E., Della Corte, A., Burriesci, G., Faggian, G., Redaelli, A. (2012). Physiological and BAV-affected aortic root dynamics: fluid-structure interaction simulation based on MRI-derived geometries. ESB2012 – 18th Congress of the European Society of Biomechanics (pp. 1539). Lisbon, Portugal.
- Lau, K. D., Díaz-Zuccarini, V., Scambler, P., Burriesci, G. (2011). Fluid-structure interaction study of the edge-to-edge repair technique on the mitral valve. Journal of Biomechanics 44(13):2409-2417.
- Lau, K., Diaz-Zuccarini, V., Scambler, P., Burriesci, G. (2010). Mitral Valve dynamics in structural and fluid-structure interaction models. Medical Engineering and Physics 32(9-2):1057-1064.
- Lau, K., Diaz-Zuccarini, V., Burriesci, G., Scambler, P. (2010). Influence of Chordae Tendineae on Mitral Valve Dynamics: A Fluid-Structure Interaction Study. 6th World Congress of Biomechanics. Singapore.
- Díaz-Zuccarini, V., Narracott, A. J., Burriesci, G., Zervides, C., Rafiroiu, D., Jones, D., Hose, D. R., Lawford, P. V. (2009). Adaptation and development of software simulation methodologies for cardiovascular engineering: present and future challenges from an end-user perspective. Philos Transact A Math Phys Eng Sci 367(1898):2655-2666.
- Carmody, C. J., Burriesci, G., Howard, I. C., Patterson, E. A. (2006). An approach to the simulation of fluid-structure interaction in the aortic valve. Journal of Biomechanics 39(1), 158-169.
- Burriesci, G., Carmody, C. J., Howard, C. J., Patterson, E. A. (2003). Simulazione numerica del comportamento emodinamico del ventricolo sinistro con interazione fluido-struttura. XXXII National Congress of AIAS – Stress Analysis Italian Association (pp. n. 032). Salerno, Italy.
- Carmody, C. J., Burriesci, G., Howard, I. C., Patterson, E. A. (2003). The use of LS-DYNA fluid-structure interaction to simulate fluid-driven deformation in the aortic valve. 4th European LS-DYNA Conference (pp. I-I-11-I-I-20). Stuttgart: DYNAmore GmbH.
- Burriesci, G. (2002). Studio numerico del comportamento della valvola aortica naturale con interazione fluido struttura. XXXI National Congress of AIAS – Stress Analysis Italian Association (pp. n. 063). Parma, Italy.
- Burriesci, G., Carmody, C. J., Howard, I. C., Patterson, E. A. (2002). Fluid structure interaction of heart valves. IV World Congress of Biomechanics. Calgary, Alberta, Canada.